Scope of Position:
The Banquet Manager is responsible for assuring the success of all banquet events, while maintaining a profitable operation and high quality products and service levels. The Banquet Manager is expected to share ideas to promote business, reduce team member turnover, maintain revenue and payroll budgets; and meet budgeted productivity while keeping quality consistently high.
Position Qualifications and Responsibilities:.
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma or GED certification required and/or experience in a hotel or related field.
- 3 years previous supervisory experience required in hotels, country clubs or similar industry.
- Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit as required by local or state government agency, and as required by franchise.
- 5 years years experience in customer service roles in industry or retail.
- Valid state driver’s license from applicable state and MVR in good standing.
- Long hours sometimes required, including nights and weekends
- Medium Work-Exerting up to 75 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently
or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Ability to stand for long hours at a time.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly, both oral and written.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must be able to work well in stressful, high-pressure situations including the ability to handle guest complaints and disputes and resolve them to satisfactory results.
- Must maintain composure and objectivity under pressure.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must have the ability to assimilate complex information, data, etc. from various sources and consider, adjust or modify to meet the constraints of the particular need.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding and clarifying concerns and issues raised by team members and guests.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic function.
Responsibilities may include any and all of the following:
- Approach all encounters with guests and team members in a friendly, service-oriented manner.
- Regular attendance is required in compliance with Prism standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which includes proper dress and correct nametag when working.
- Comply at all times with Prism standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Must, at all times, be attentive, friendly, helpful and courteous to all guests, managers, and other team members.
- Supervise set up of banquet space to ensure timely and accurate room sets and ensure service staff is prepared and organized, and delivers high standards of service.
- Ensure proper sequence of service for events.
- Provide guests with excellent food service and presentations.
- Review event orders with clients; respond quickly to last minute changes; answer questions to customers’ satisfaction; review guest check with client after function and obtain signatures.
- Schedule employees at proper staffing levels; watch labor costs daily to ensure efficiency in scheduling and productivity.
- Requisition supplies when needed and maintain adequate levels of inventory supplies to meet function needs.
- Maintain orderly back hallways and storage areas and ensure equipment is kept clean and stored in a secure manner.
- Aggressively recruit and staff department using company hiring standards (i.e. behavioral questioning, reference checks, evaluations and team interviews).
- Conduct training classes regarding safety, security, department procedures and service guidelines.
- Fulfill Manager on Duty shifts, as requested.
- Ensure hotel is in compliance with all federal, state and local laws, including OSHA, EEOC, Wage Hour, food and liquor laws, Sanitation and Health laws.
- Respond to guest’s complaints and/or requests in a timely manner, and ensure satisfaction
- Create and execute low cost recognition programs occasionally and as needed.
- Ensure a good work relationship with other F&B managers and keep them informed of F&B issues as they arise.
- Keep immediate supervisor informed of all problems or matters requiring his/her attention.
- Prepare and submit all reports in a timely manner.
- Produce and post banquet servers/coffee break’s schedule on weekly basis, in a timely manner.
- Assist in keeping on-call/contract labor hours to a minimum.
- Monitor quality of service in banquet operations.
- Conduct team member performance reviews in a timely manner and in accordance with Prism standards.
- Understand and be able to prepare payroll and tip distribution.
- Review menu/service with catering mangers and banquet chef.
- Maintain up to date details on banquet functions and communicate any and all changes to supervisors.
- Make personal contact with guests and assist them with any requests.
- Ensure accuracy of all banquet checks (in accordance to BEO) and adhere to proper signing procedures with guests.
- Communicate with houseman and/or supervisor to insure correct room set-ups for all functions.
- Direct BEO (Banquet Event Order) meetings.
- Ensure that all functions are posted correctly on any event boards used.
- Maintain constant contact with kitchen staff to ensure effective communication between food production and food service. Responsible for exact count after guests have been seated; advise kitchen and staff of any last minute timing changes and special requests.
- Train all staff in fire safety, proper lifting of trays, HAZCOMM, and alcohol awareness as required.
- Check-in servers, assign stations, and pre-post function side work duties.
- Final walk through of all banquet space before guest are allowed in to ensure quality and adherence to BEO and standards.
- Responsible for all servers on the floor and supervision of service received by the guests throughout each function assigned.
- Supervise cleaning and post function clean up and check out of staff, according to standards.
- Prepare daily summary and post all completed banquet checks by end of day.
- Total all banquet function checks for guest signing.
- Supervises the maintenance of upkeep of all banquet equipment.
- Supervise the handling, storage and safety of all catering service equipment.
- Balance any and all banks used at end of function.
- Working knowledge of all areas of catering, food, beverage, coffee breaks, convention set-up, scheduling and payroll.
- Responsible for maintaining labor costs within established goals. (already state above watch labor costs daily to ensure efficiency in scheduling and productivity.)
- Check “daily” event sheet versus BEOs for accuracy.
- Check schedule for following day for “pop-ups”. Ensure proper coverage.
- Conduct daily and others meetings effectively.
- Schedule staff consistent with volume of business and needs.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
- Attend meetings/training as required by management or in accordance to Prism standards.
Internal: All hotel departments: For effective communication
External: Guests: To provide service
Vendors: to ensure hotel guests’ satisfaction and adherence to hotel regulations
Reports to: Food and Beverage Director
Subordinates: Assistant Banquet Managers, Banquet Captain, Banquet Servers, Banquet Housepersons, Banquet Bartenders
Job title also known as: Banquet Manager