CATERING SALES MANAGER
SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Catering Sales Manager is responsible for coordinating, supervising, and assisting the Director of Catering or Director of Sales with the the booking, servicing and coordination of catering/banquet events. The Manager maintains profitable operations and high quality products and service levels. He/she is expected to maximize revenues and exceed budgeted revenues, and to develop and implement strategies to increase business. Must act as a liaison between client and operating departments to ensure a successful meeting and to generate repeat business.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Previous managerial experience in a hotel environment preferred or similar industry.
- Proven financial knowledge required.
- College Degree preferred,
- Minimum of 2 years in Sales and Marketing or event service experience.
- 5 years of hospitality or similar industry related work experience preferred.
- Proficiency in Delphi system preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, and Sales related computer programs required.
- Knowledge of F&B preparation techniques and liquor laws and regulations helpful.
- Alcohol awareness certification as required by local or state government agency.
- Ability to meet monthly, quarterly and annual catering sales goals.
- Long hours sometimes required, including nights and weekends.
- Medium Work – Exerting up to 30 pounds of force occasionally or frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Ability to stand for long hours at a time.
- As Manager on Duty, ability to move quickly to the various departments of the property.
- Valid Driver’s license from appropriate state and MVR in good standing.
- Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly, both oral and written.
- Must work well in stressful, high-pressure situations.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding and clarifying concerns and issues raised by team members and guests.
- Must have the ability to assimilate complex information, data, etc. from disparate sources and consider adjust or modify to meet the constraints of a particular need.
- Must be able to prioritize departmental functions to meet due dates and deadlines.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic function.
RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE ANY AND ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Approach all encounters with guests and team members in a friendly, service-oriented manner.
- Regular attendance is required in compliance with Prism standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which includes proper dress and correct nametag when working.
- Comply at all times with Prism standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
- Must, at all times, be attentive, friendly, helpful and courteous to all guests, managers, and other team members.
- Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic function including hotel-billing systems.
- Manage the activities of the hotel catering sales team, providing leadership and motivation necessary to implement effective sales and marketing strategies and to maximize the generation of hotel catering sales/revenues.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key clients in order to produce group and/or convention business, to include room sales, food & beverage sales, catering/banquet services.
- Develop and manage client accounts and monitor sales activities/ performance to ensure actual sales meet or exceed established revenue plan and to accurately report variances/projections.
- Manages the scheduling of conventions and group activities at the hotel and coordinate with other hotel-level departments to facilitate services agreed upon by the catering and sales office and prospective clients.
- Supports hotel-level tactical sales and marketing plans to support overall system-wide sales plans/strategies and programs.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with officials and representatives of local community groups and companies.
- Assist Director of Sales and Director of Catering in the development and update of the hotel-level business plan to include input on sales goals and plans that support the overall business and sales strategies of the company.
- Recruit, hire, train, and provide career development for all catering sales personnel; conduct performance evaluations and provide feedback to employees using company hiring standards and guidelines.
- Follow company policies and procedures and is able to effectively communicate them to subordinates.
- Ensure hotel is in compliance with all federal, state and local laws, including OSHA, EEOC, Wage Hour and Health laws.
- Assist in coordinating and monitoring all phases of Loss Prevention in the Banquet and Catering areas.
- Prepare and submit required reports in a timely manner.
- Monitor the quality in Banquets to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Know meeting room set-ups and capabilities.
- Know sleeping room configuration and types and total inventory of type.
- Have comprehensive knowledge of all operational departments within the hotel; guest services, reservations, housekeeping, audio-visual, switchboard, accounting, restaurants, bars, and engineering.
- Manage booking pace and maintains pace for assigned goals.
- Handle inquiry calls and outside sales calls, ensuring follow up within 24 hours.
- Develop core list of preferred vendors that exhibit standards above normal.
- Meets solicitation goals to ensure that revenue goals and solicitation goals are met or exceeded.
- Re-solicit past local accounts, generate new business.
- Maintain pricing integrity and propose upscale menus for clients.
- Manage existing accounts and follow up with client re-solicitation to capture future business.
- Manage space and adjust in order to ensure maximum potential revenue.
- Comply with weekly and monthly forecasting procedures.
- Participate in MOD program as deemed necessary by management.
- Supports Director of Catering to develop sales tools, new menus, themes, decorations and ideas by keeping abreast of the competition’s products’ strengths and weaknesses and customer comments to continually improve the hotel’s services.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
- Attend and/or conduct any training/meetings as required by management
- Fulfills Manager on Duty shifts.
All hotel departments: Communicate client expectations and coordinate delivery of services to the guest.
Sales Staff: Share leads/referrals.
Guests: To provide service.
Travel Agencies: To promote hotel services and generate business.
Competition: To stay informed of competitive strategies and business conditions.
CVB: To promote hotel services and generate business.
Vendors: To solicit goods and services.
Competitors: Analyzes competitors and business conditions to develop marketing strategies.
Reports to: Director of Sales & Marketing
Subordinates: Catering Sales Assistant, Meeting Services Coordinator
This job description is a general representation of the duties and responsibilities commonly found in Prism Hotels for this type of position; it may be modified at an individual hotel based upon business levels.