CATERING SALES MANAGER
SCOPE OF POSITION
Supports Sales Manager, Director of Sales, by detailing of all group events after contract has been received.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Education & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of two years work experience in sales field is preferred. Special consideration will be given to those who exhibit exemplary performance.
- Alcohol awareness certification as required by local or state government agency.
- Valid Driver’s license from appropriate state and MVR in good standing.
- Long hours sometimes required, including nights and weekends.
- The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- As Manager on Duty, ability to move quickly to the various departments of the property.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Most tasks are performed independently or in a team environment with the employee acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision.
- Extensive knowledge of food and beverage products, proper preparation and presentation of food and beverage items
- Extensive knowledge of meeting room capacities, banquet set-up, audio-visual and any other pertinent details as they relate to function room set-up.
- Ability to assess/evaluate employees performance fairly.
- Ability to supervise, train and motivate multiple levels of managers and employees.
- Knowledge of hotel and competitive market.
- Must possess basic computational ability.
- Must possess computer skills, including, but not limited to, accounting programs, Microsoft Word, Excel and Delphi.
- Excellent inter-personal and sales-related skills.
- Exceptional organizational, supervisory skills.
- Exceptional food and beverage knowledge and pricing.
RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE ANY AND ALL OF THE FOLLOWING
- Maintain strong client relations and ensure that event specifications are communicated and executed for a successful meeting experience for the meeting planner and attendees.
- Monitor and manage room blocks according to contract utilizing group history reports and information given by clients to maximize hotel revenue, making adjustments as necessary.
- Review sales contracts as well as other important information, i.e., room block, cut off date, special concessions and attrition clauses and validate with client via turnover letter.
- Monitor and enforce program deadline dates and work with clients to release meeting space not needed to maximize hotel revenues.
- Produce and distribute event resume two weeks prior to first day of main group arrival and communicate any changes and updated information to hotel departments.
- Distribute BEOs for group and affiliates 10 -14 days prior to events.
- Accurately forecast group rooms and group food and beverage revenues for assigned groups and affiliate business within a 5% variance.
- Check sleeping room and suite block, special room concessions and rates as outlined in contract with group reservations agents, as well as updating group reservations agents with any changes.
- Participate in site visits and plan meetings for upcoming groups and potential affiliate business.
- Verify credit information submitted in account management software system at point of turnover, to include estimated amount of billing, billing type, and appropriate contact and update information as necessary until departure.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.Attend all department and hotel meetings as necessary.
- Provide ongoing training and support for group reservations agents.
- Ensures hotel is in compliance with all federal, state and local laws, including OSHA, EEOC, Wage Hour and health laws.
- Maintains a professional image at all times through appearance and dress.
- Follows company policies and procedures and is able to effectively communicate them to subordinates.
- Participates in Manager on Duty Program.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
INTERNAL: All hotel departments and sales staff – Communicates client’s expectations.
EXTERNAL: Guests – To provide service.
Competition – To stay informed of competitive strategies and business conditions.
National and Regional Sales – Share leads and account and client Information.
REPORTS TO: Director of Sales, General Manager
SUBORDINATES: Catering Sales Manager
JOB TITLE ALSO KNOWN AS: Director of Catering and Convention Services, Catering Sales Director
This job description is a general representation of the duties and responsibilities commonly found in Prism Hotels for this type of position; it may be modified at an individual hotel based upon business levels.
- Department: Sales & Marketing
- Career level: Management (supervisor)
- Hours/Status: Full-time